
Intent: the influence of visual language and devices on narrative.
Content; narrative situation from own sketchbook
Reference: North by Northwest storyboard/film comparison
Analysis:

The devices of narrative in this section of the film help to show the character's isolation. There are repeated cuts to the scenery around him using long shots to show the wide expanse of empty plains around him, making him look very alone. There is also the second character who is viewed from a distance directly across from the main character as a comparison. The second character is just 'waiting for a bus' he is comfortable in his surroundings which makes the main character seem even less so. This character also draws attention to the plane which is after the main character so advances the plot. Not much happens there is a lot of waiting which makes us feel empathy for the main character.
Another device is his appearance, he wears a suit which makes him very out of place in the rural landscape.
The narrative situation I used relates to my overall comic book ideas which involve a female lead character.Inspired by the storyboard I wanted to show her isolation so had the idea of her alone under a street lamp at night which would strongly separate her from the rest of her surroundings. I would use long shots to the rest of the city and surrounding streets to show her truly alone. I also think the strong light source would be a good way of showing emotion and drama of the scene. This would involve close-ups of her face with the overhead light source casting shadows on her face making her look mysterious in her solitude.
I liked the idea and cinematography of this scene and thought it fit well with the personality of my character so I worked it up adding darker inky tones and a city landscape to emphasise her isolation in a dark and gloomy city.
| Add caption |
No comments:
Post a Comment