| Svetlana Zakharova performance 'The Dying Swan' 2010 |
| Analysis #1 |
Her arms are lifted up to form the neck of the bird the hands bent in a head-like shape with the skirt and legs stretched behind to give a sense of the gliding body. This dramatic pose helps to establish the premise and also forms a quiet moment in the dance where she stops to form this pose and the emotion communicated is a realisation that there may be something wrong.
The action of her arm movements is the flapping of the swans wings this starts slow and elegant the calm contented gesture of the swan at rest. The dancer extends her arms gracefully to show the shape and form of the large wings. When the swan is in peril the flapping becomes faster and irregular with the bends of her arms more exaggerated to convey the stressed emotion of the swan and contrast harshly with the previous grace.
Her tortured pained expression in the last pose along with her body folded in upon itself expresses the succumbing to pain and the end of the swan, the grace purity and innocence. The pose is very inverted compared to the extended graceful form of the swan at the beginning the limbs look unnatural and at odd angles which emphasises the loss and suffering.
By looking at ballet I consider more carefully the shape of the body in dramatic poses and I could try to do some figure drawings with simplified shapes just showing the movement off limbs and motion to express feelings and action. I quickly experimented with some of my previously drawn figures and tried to exaggerate where the weight and main action of the pose would take place with simple lines. I will try this with sequential imagery when I undertake the research project fully so that there can be a continuous flow of movement through different images.
| Experiments |
2. Music Video
Stills from 'Iron' music video from Woodkid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkb0kDacjsThe dramatic poses in this music video help to communicate the themes and emotions of the song. The song is anthemic with a constant drumming beat so the actions are imposing and dramatic.
| Analysis |
making a stand, for not taking any more. This movement is nicely timed within the music of the song which adds emphasis to the action.
The leg movement has her shifting her weight to lean from her left leg to her right which helps the action to flow. This shows confidence there is no hesitation in the movement and it is followed through to the ending pose. The right knee is the major body part that controls the action and is emphasised.
The music supports the actions to show emotions of strength defiance and confidence and vice versa. To acheive this in my own work I could experiment with animations of my figure drawings to have music fitting to them or even just as simple as listening to music whilst drawing and trying to get a sense of this.
3. Kabuki Theatre
![]() |
| Kabuki a 'tachiyaku' (young male) character performing a 'mie (pose) |
In Kabuki the costumes are ornate and elaborate inspired by the Edo period of Japan. Here the cloth exaggerates the pose as the shoulder padding is further back making the character look broader, he looks as if he is leaning into the pose more, his head lower ready for action. The long straight sleeve also emphasises this curve of the shoulder. The wide legged elaborate trousers have many folds that follows the shape of the leg and trail to show the past movement and where the leg has moved from.The clothing makes the movements look more continuous in the performances with more power behind it, the clothing is like movement lines around the character.
| Experiment |
I tried to apply some of the aesthetic features of Kabuki to one of my quick observational drawings. I exaggerated the gloom of his features in the style of Kabuki make up and added flowing voluminous clothing to the figure to exaggerate the weight leaning on his legs. I think this will work better for more dramatic powerful poses where I can show the action more in the clothing.
4.Comic Books
| 'I Kill Giants' by Joe Kelly and JM Ken Niimura |
The emotion communicated here is of feeling small, pathetic and defeated.
Her pose also looks defeated with hunched shoulders and a curved back. The hammer weapon looks too heavy for her and makes her look smaller and more insignificant by comparison. There is a lot of white space left around the character to make her look more isolated and vulnerable. The shading on the character adds dimension and drama to the pose as well as the shadow under her making the image more contained and closed.
The pose and its placement on the page help to describe the action. As it is an image alone it is a sudden action where the character has just stopped. This helps emphasize the action as there seems to be a pause where she puts down the weapon.
Experiments: I used one of my observational drawings and converted her into a cartoon style. I wanted to convey an overall emotion of sadness in the pose and so brought her limbs in and had her looking down into the cup. I copied some of the elements of the 'I Kill Giants' character like the opaque glasses to make the viewer curious as to what she is sad about underneath them and also to simplify her face.
5.Sculpture
| 'The Thinker' Auguste Rodin c.1902 |
| Posture and shading |
The rough texture of the casting also creates shadowing on the figure. The shadowing adds to the realism of the figure as it makes him look more human where the light and shade hits him. The shadowing adds depth to his pose making his thoughts look deeper and darker in the shadows and adding an air of mystery that makes the viewer curious.
| Expression |
Experiment: I went back to a character of mine in a dramatic pose and tried to amplify the emotion and drama using the same shading that you can see on the highly textured statue. This added a sense of dramatic lighting to the figure. I think the result is quite scary making her face look skeletal and older but think it would work if the rest of the image was drawn in the same way. It is more dramatic than the original and shows her expression of fear better which is what I wanted to communicate. The next step would be 3D experiments where I mould my characters in dramatic poses out of clay or a similar material and try to get the drama in the pose.

No comments:
Post a Comment